Monday, May 12, 2014

Failures and Success


A yellow labrador retriver swimming

Until recently, there was not really a good way for me to define failure and success with this project. I mean, if I swim, I've succeeded, right?

Well, bad news guys, I haven't gone swimming in almost a month. Graduation is soon, so basically I have about -3 hours to myself every day. Not only have I been insanely busy, but I also no longer have a source of transportation to the Y every day. So, by my definition, I have failed this project.

But have I? While not going to the Y for a really long time is certainly a failure, I have also succeeded in a number of ways. I got pretty fit over the past 7-ish months. I became a lifeguard. I even made a new friend during my lifeguarding class. And, because of my qualifications as a lifeguard, I landed a summer job that I am really excited about! This seems to me a much better way to measure success versus failure. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Life is a journey, not a destination."

Such was this project, Ralph, such was this project. 

*photo is from everystockphoto.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment